[SI-LIST] [SI-LIST]EMI from two systems

  • From: Boris Traa <boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:59:28 +0200

In my opinion EMC and SI are related topics. For that reason I woul like
to posit the following problem.
Assume two battery supplied systems A and B are connected to each other
via just one digital interface cable (e.g. USB) and positioned 80 cm above
a reference plane. No more cables have been attached. If the EMI-level of
this combination is to high I would like to investigate whether it is
system A or B.  Switching A and B off alternately is no option because it
will lead to a malfunction of the other system.
I could measure the CM-current through the interface cable but than I can
not determine the main cause.
Who can offer me a nice idea?

Kind regards
Boris Traa
System design engineer EMC

It's the currents that make circuits work or fail.

Philips Applied Technologies/EM&C Competence Center
Room 1.024
High Tech Campus 26
5656AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Tel: ++ 31 40 27 43766