[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best - LINPARdiscussion

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:01:45 -0700

Raj,
Please see my comments.

>1. If you are doing cables (say shielded twisted pair), it may be better
>to use a Finite Difference or Finite Element based more general  2-D
>software.

I am not sure why FDM or FEM inheritedly is better than MoM even in closed
boundaries. Can you explain ?

>2. I do not think it handles dielectric loss.

As mentioned in some response, it does model dielectric loss in 2.0

>3. It does not handle magnetic materials and probably neither do most
>commercial programs.

I will be very worry if my PCB starts to have magnetic material behavior

>4. If accurate skin effect inductance and resistance are important,
>again, other programs which divide the area of cross-section into many
>fine filaments would be needed.

To a degree. Linpar does generate the R(sqrt(f)) skin effect model based on
a fully pronounced skin depth assumption. One can argue whether this is good
enough for thick traces at >GHz

>5. It does not produce a HSPICE w-element compatible model directly.

But you can now use the touchstone S params models in HSPICE.

>6. I have already pointed out a minor problem I had with non-zero
>forward crosstalk for a homogenous medium

I will be very interested in the exact structure that generates this error.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: