[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best - LINPARdiscussion

  • From: Raj Raghuram <raj.raghuram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:04:49 -0700

Apart from the cost, here are some technical pros and cons of ApsimRLGC
and Linpar.

1. Linpar uses the Boundary Element method. This is Method of Moments
based and uses free space Green's functions. Where there is boundary
between dielectrics, interface charge needs to be added and solved for.
This can add to the simulation time. Where there are a number of
dielectric layers, it can affect the accuracy as well. Apsim RLGC
(method=1) also uses the Method of Moments. However, because it uses the
Spectral Domain method, it does not need to model and solve for  the
interface charge at the boundaries between dielectrics.

2. If two conductors are very close together (normally not true in
typical PCBs), the LINPAR answer for the mutual capacitance may be more
accurate because the charge on the edges is modeled better compared to
ApsimRLGC (method = 1).

3. If you use a closed geometry with non rectangular conductors (say a
co-ax cable with two inner conductors), neither Apsim RLGC (method=1)
nor LINPAR is probably suitable. ApsimRLGC has a Finite Difference base
solver (method = 2), which is good for arbitrary closed geometries.

4. ApsimRLGC has a quick Via model extractor which LINPAR does not have.
It is also based on the Spectral Domain technique uisng cylindrical
co-ords and circular symmetry.

5. One minor disadvantage of the Boundary Element method in LINPAR (at
least in the earlier version) was that a homogenous medium such as
stripline could give forward crosstalk. For forward crosstalk to be
absent, the even and odd mode velocities must match exactly.  A very
minor error in the L and C matrices of a coupled line could destroy this
match. The numerical techniques in ApsimRLGC automatically achieve this
match even if there are minor errors in L and C matrices.

6. ApsimRLGC was originally intended to provide matrices for
transmission line simulation in ApsimSPICE format and not as a
standalone program. Some of the notation is still less than obvious for
this reason.

Warm Regards,

--
Raj Raghuram