[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best - LINPARdisc ussion

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:51:33 -0700

Chris,

I don't think any of us IBIS proponents ever claimed that IBIS models
were capable of modeling receivers as you like to use them.  That was
something that traditional IBIS did not cover, period.

However, now that the IBIS 4.1 specification added the VHDL-AMS and
Verilog-AMS language extensions, we actually DO have the capability
to write behavioral models to even do that, if you like.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

#1 can be quantified prior to running system simulations by comparing
against measurements or trusted field-solver results.  If a rational
approximation algorithm breaks down, it will show up as #1.

#2 tends to result in more catastrophic failure, such as oscillation or
exponential growth.  However, the oscillations may not be crazy enough
to cross your personal threshold, and those are probably the most
insidious.  The best approach is to guarantee #2 mathematically prior to
simulation, especially if you're a model provider.

If you've convinced yourself that interconnects aren't contributing
heavily to your simulation time, you're probably right.  It definitely
depends on the nature of the system you're simulating.  In the question
of lumped (i.e., rational approximation) vs. distributed models, we
aren't apologists for any particular approach.  We provide the ability
to extract both, and let the user determine which is more appropriate
based on the application.

   -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Analysis Company."
http://www.tdasystems.com

email: steven.corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: (503) 246-2272
fax:   (503) 246-2282

Chris Cheng wrote:
> Steve,
> My question is, if the approximation is bad, what does it exhibit=20
> itself
in
> the simulation ?
> If it results in "internal time step too small" or crazy oscillation,=20
know
> immediately the model has problem and move on. If however, it=20
> generates
the
> wrong waveform with incorrect delay, I will be very worry.
> Interconnect model impact on simulation memory and time is not a=20
> concern
for
> me, I believe my I/O circuits and package models dominates that by
far.

Maybe you can comment on this.

>>The delay information required to model an electrically long structure

>>such as a transmission line is contained in the phase information of=20
>>the complex s-parameters.
>>
>>Most instruments output the phase of s-parameters in the range of +180

>>to -180 degrees.  Plotted wrt frequency it resembles a sawtooth. This=20
>>modulo 360 phase info needs to be unwrapped into a linear phase=20
>>progression to interpret it as delay.
>>
>>When a rational polynomial approximation is fitted to the unwrapped=20
>>s-parameter data, if the phase part of the approximation is the same=20
>>as the phase of the original s-parameter then I'd expect the resultant

>>macromodel to exhibit the same delay characteristics.
>>
>>Comments ???
>>

>>-Ray Anderson
>>
>>Sun Microsystems Inc.

>>or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
>>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>
>>For help:
>>si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
>>
>>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>>                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
>>
>>List technical documents are available at:
>>                http://www.si-list.org
>>
>>List archives are viewable at:
>>              //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>>or at our remote archives:
>>Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
>>              http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org