[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best - LINPARdisc ussion

  • From: "Jon Powell" <jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>,"Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:15:53 -0700

To agree and expand on Arpad's comment, another issue I believe in is the
idea of "accuracy matching". Unless you really enjoy sitting around and
waiting for your simulations to finish, it is a reasonable idea to want to
simulate as fast as you can for the best accuracy. I mean, if you can do two
simulations and one takes 1 minute and one takes 1 hour and they give the
same answer, which do you want?
And accuracy is not determined by just the driver model. In many cases it is
determined much more by the level of accuracy of all of the input data. How
well do you really know your Er (10%?) or even your actual trace width and
spacing (another 10%?). How much tolerance do you have in general across a
fab run on your boards? What about changes due to temperature? You add all
these things up and you see that there is an accuracy limit imposed by your
lack of exact knowledge of what you are simulating. This is especially bad
in situations where the return path is not obvious or perhaps widely
distributed. So running a simulation that is "more accurate" (or has more
precision) than your input data won't give a better answer, it will just
take longer.

jon