[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best - LINPARdisc ussion

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx'" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:53:12 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Muranyi, Arpad [mailto:arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 9:53 PM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best - LINPARdisc
ussion

Chris,

That same little bird reminded me to a discussion I had with one of the=20
engineers of the company who's simulator was used in that project you
are
referring to.  That engineer was quite familiar with the tool's
algorithms
and architecture, and told me that part of the problem with the
performance
of those models was that the tool was not architected for such tasks,
and
with some architectural changes it would have been able to run much
faster...

I agree, modeling the receivers may not be an easy task, but it is
probably
not impossible either.  And as we learn more about behavioral modeling
we
may find better ways of doing things which we would have never thought
of
before.  (As they say, practice makes master).

Arpad
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D
Sure, anything is possible. And the dog ate my homework.
Just kidding. Little bird always reminds me that those are very smart people
and he is always grateful for the work they have done. And I am told at
least one of them got it reasonably fast on first try.

I never got paid to create industry standards or sell CAD tools.My current
or former employers just pay me to make sure their own or customers systems
work. Very smart circuit designers gave me very smart I/O. I am just lucky
to even have a circuit description of it. To ask me to generate an accurate
behavioral abstraction of it everytime something new comes out is beyond my
limited intelligence. Case and point is the original GTL driver by Bill
Gunning with the delay feedback for my first GTL system, I can't even
remember how long did it take (or if ever) for IBIS to be able to generate
an accurate model of it. And if at the end of the day those so call tools
"will get better in the future" or "be able to do what you want in the next
rev" or "add x tool to y tool and you may be able to do that", that's just
too complicated for me. Remember, I am just a dumb engineer who wants one
tool to do it all. Seems like I've been lucky so far with what I've got and
I'll probably stick with it for awhile.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org