[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Which tool is the best - LINPAR discussion

  • From: Paul Levin <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:48:55 -0700

Dear All,

LINPAR v2 (what I've got) will indeed handle dielectric above
the uppermost layer of conductors (solder mask) in the multi-
layered planar structure mode, as well as several others.

The one caveat is that the top surface of each dielectric layer
is flat, so solder mask thickness changes drastically depending
on whether the mask is above copper or simply above dielectric
(and the mask must be thick enough to that at least 5% of the
layer thickness is covering the copper.) Alternately, you could
force the top conductors to bury themselves into the dielectric
just below the conductors so that the dielectric and conductors
have a smooth top surface on top of which you could put a uniform
covering of dielectric. (Gee, for this it would be nice to use
the new text plotting capability, but I don't have the time to
download, let alone, learn the software.)

User-defined input file mode would indeed permit you to define
trapezoidal conductor cross sections and conformal coat solder
mask. I must admit that I have never tried to use a User-Defined
Input File, however.

That said, I have found the program to be really useful and, as
others have noted, an incredible bargain. My two cents. . .

Regards,

Paul
_______________________

Ray Anderson wrote:

> Michael E. Vrbanac wrote:
>

>>Is Linpar worth its salt?  I've used Apsim for that task before but
>>I wouldn't mind saving some money by getting something just as good
>>for much less and no maintenance fees. I was wondering if there were
>>any newer versions or ones that take into consideration something other
>>than a rectangular cross-section and one could add solder mask.
>>

> Don't know. I've got an old version (Linpar for Windows Version 1.0
> copyright 1995) sitting on my disk gathering moss that I've never
> really used. I just brought it up to take a look at what sort of
> topologies it can handle.
>
> The selection menu has the following:
>
> Microstrips (Zero Thickness)
> Microstriops (Finite Thickness)
> Suspended Striplines
> Lines with Rectangular Conductors
> Striplines
> Broadside Coupled lines
> Coplanar Waveguides
> Multilayered Planar Structure
> Usef-Defined Input File
>

> The first 8 selections seem to assume a rectangular cross section. The
> online help refers one to the printed user manual, but says that any
> arbritrary cross section can be defined. (you have to do that offline
> with a text editor rather than via the GUI). You _might_  be able to
> define to define soldermask with the Multilayered planar selection or
> with the user-defined option.
>

> I normally use Apsim RLGC and had almost forgotten that I even had
> Linpar around until someone mentioned it on the list this morning.
>

> -Ray

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org