Re: [SI-LIST] Re: TDR's and ESD Protection

  • From: "Brian D. Butler" <brian.butler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si_list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 06:11:59 -0800

John, Ray,

To be more precious, the heart of the Polar Instruments TDR units is the
older Tektronix 200 psec sampling head unit that had been up to recently
(and now obsoleted by Tek) incorporated in the Tektronix 1503C Tester but
never the SD-24 head.

Tektronix does make a static isolation unit (model SIU800) that is made
specifically for manufacturing applications. It works great at reducing or
eliminating static damage issues especially when you incorporate software
controlled over the unit (as we have in our test software).

The unit utilizes high frequency relays and we have found that the TDR
system risetime is only increased by about 20-30 psec.

Brian Butler
Introbotics Corp
www.introbotics.com

At 06:44 PM 3/26/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>"Loyer, Jeff W" wrote:
>>
>.              stuff deleted....
>

>> I believe Polar Instruments TDRs are less susceptible to ESD damage, since
>> they can afford to put ESD protection on their heads (their rise-times are
>> accordingly slower).  The problem is that I don't believe their instruments
>> measure differential impedance/length.
>>
>> Jeff Loyer
>>
>>.
>
>Note that the heads in the Polar Instruments TDR are actually specially
>modified Tektronix SD-24 heads.
>

>-Ray

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: