[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]: Embedded capacitance on Flex..??

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx, ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:27:45 -0700

Larry, DuPont and 3M both have thin dielectric with elevated Ers that is
nice stuff.

Some caution is warranted though depending on the specific
application.  High Er material can do good things as you said.  For a given
skin and dielectric loss, the peak magnitude of the parallel resonant peak
falls approximately as the inverse square root of Er.  It tends to be even
better than that as higher dielectric loss pulls down the peak as
well.  But there are some potential rocks in that stream:

1. Reduced board modal resonant frequencies, good for damping, potentially
bad if too low
2. Reduced board to discrete capacitor parallel resonant frequency.  Can be
a good or bad thing.  Introduces more variables to discrete bypass design.
3. Increased risk of quarter wave resonance within power delivery band
between discrete caps and IC die.
4. Much higher material cost.

Best Regards,

Steve.