[SI-LIST] [SI-LIST]: Differential mode noise source in PCB

  • From: vinod ah <ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:29:38 +0530

Hi All,
I have a basic query on Differential mode noise in High speed signals board.

1) As far as i understand, Differential mode noise is noise which is
injected on one of the line of differential pair and the noise returns on
other line of differential pair (like in PCIe3 where we inject differential
mode interference for Rx circuitry BER testing).
So whats the problem caused by differential mode noise as the return path
is very clear for this kind of noise.

2) What is the source of differential mode noise in boards/pcb's i.e.
trying to understand what sources on board can generate differential mode
noise?

3) Will differential mode noise cause EMI as return path is very short? If
EMI caused, what needs to be done to reduce the EMI without affecting the
actual differential signals integrity.

Regards
Vinod A H

List forum  is accessible at: