[SI-LIST] Re: SI work - part or full time endeavor

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <surfsup3@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:55:57 -0600

D,
I read a couple of the other postings, and here's my 2bits.  Look for
another job.  I tried the same thing a few years back.  Too much old school
inertia.  Your company isn't going fast enough or the fail rate would be
high enough that the need for an SI group, or an external consulting group,
would be self evident.
Don't waste your time.  Look for a company that's doing high-speed work, and
has already gone through these painful lessons.  The future of any company
with that type of mindset is doubtful.  Get out early and avoid the rush.
I'm in a small(25 software/25 hardware)R&D company running at today's rates
and higher.  I have two other engineers to help me cover SI/EMI.  Given the
company size, that's a sizeable commitment.
As a quick big company example, look at what Dell has done over the last 3
or 4 years.  They have hired a small army of SI engineers, and they are
dominating several market niches because of it.  Example number two would be
Intel.  Enough said on that one.  Modern companies exist, they dominate
their markets, and they understand the importance of having an SI group.
Life's too short to argue over the basics.
Ken