[SI-LIST] Re: SI work - part or full time endeavor

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: surfsup3@xxxxxxx, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:30:02 -0700

D, I have seen it vary.  I think a better way to sell your management while
offering them flexibility is to make sure that your design process has an
owner accountable to the SI issues at planning, design execution and
verification.  That owner might be the design lead, the group lead, or
dedicated SI resources.  What I have seen work fairly well is to get as
much education into the troops up front as mandatory, and to make sure that
at least one person in any sizeable group has really in-depth knowledge or
retain consultants you trust for that role as advisors, reviewers, and
hopefully not very often, problem solver.

If you think of your design groups as manufacturers of designs, then it is
a Demming like concept to instill at least basic knowledge as a job
requirement into every design engineer, rather than rely on a dedicated
group.  This also "just" makes a lot of the SI  work part of the normal
design flow.  So there isn't a visible large cost center creating budget
grief.  JMO

Steve.

At 05:38 PM 8/21/2004 -0700, D wrote:
>I work in a division of a large company that designs and manufactures
>boards and systems.  As many as 20 new high speed multi-layer board
>designs are done every year.  After hiring on, I was surprised to learn
>that SI was not part of the pre-design or design verification process.  I
>did some further investigation and learned that many board level
>reliability issues were clearly signal integrity related.  After a 1/2
>dozen meetings with key decision makers I was able to secure quasi-commit
>on a 3 month project to define an SI process that was suited/tailored for
>my division's business.  While doing so, I evaluated a few SI tools in
>parallel with help from this list.
>The good news is that a reasonable process is now in place along with
>budget for the tools.  The bad news is that the same decision makers are
>now reluctant to commit full time resources to doing the SI work.  It
>seems that there are two reasons for this: 1) they do not understand the
>complexities of the work (in fact, it seems that few EEs truly understand
>SI); 2) because of item number 1, they fear that the SI work will become
>"science project" oriented and will in turn delay design schedules.
>
>In the past I have successfully leveraged feedback from this list as
>supporting data (so to speak) for persuading said reluctant decision
>makers to "see the light" on the SI front.  So, I'd like to ask the list
>to help me once more by answering the following simple questions:
>
>   a.. Is there a dedicated, full time,  SI team or group at your place of
> business?
>   b.. If you have an SI group, how many people are in the group?
>
>If you do not wish to broadcast this information, please feel free to
>respond to me directly.
>
>Thanks in advance and best regards,

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: