[SI-LIST] SI work - part or full time endeavor

  • From: "D" <surfsup3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:38:04 -0700

I work in a division of a large company that designs and manufactures boards
and systems.  As many as 20 new high speed multi-layer board designs are done
every year.  After hiring on, I was surprised to learn that SI was not part of
the pre-design or design verification process.  I did some further
investigation and learned that many board level reliability issues were clearly
signal integrity related.  After a 1/2 dozen meetings with key decision makers
I was able to secure quasi-commit on a 3 month project to define an SI process
that was suited/tailored for my division's business.  While doing so, I
evaluated a few SI tools in parallel with help from this list.
The good news is that a reasonable process is now in place along with budget
for the tools.  The bad news is that the same decision makers are now reluctant
to commit full time resources to doing the SI work.  It seems that there are
two reasons for this: 1) they do not understand the complexities of the work
(in fact, it seems that few EEs truly understand SI); 2) because of item number
1, they fear that the SI work will become "science project" oriented and will
in turn delay design schedules.

In the past I have successfully leveraged feedback from this list as supporting
data (so to speak) for persuading said reluctant decision makers to "see the
light" on the SI front.  So, I'd like to ask the list to help me once more by
answering the following simple questions:

  a.. Is there a dedicated, full time,  SI team or group at your place of
business?
  b.. If you have an SI group, how many people are in the group?

If you do not wish to broadcast this information, please feel free to respond
to me directly.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: