[SI-LIST] Re: SI Simulation post layout

  • From: "Kai Keskinen" <kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ricky.lai@xxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:00:31 -0400

After an extensive evaluation of hyperlynx 7.2, an evaluation of ICX, and
lots of experience with SpecctraQuest, now Allegro PCB SI, I can tell you
that all three tools will do the job. It is a question of how quickly you
need to analyze the board, how steep the tool learning curve is, and exactly
what you want the tool to do. The following is purely from my experience
with the tools and I know some folks will disagree:

ICX has an incredibly steep learning curve and doesn't perform well with
complicated high density designs. As well, you need this license feature and
then that one etc. The UI is really clunky. It is no good with importing
complicated designs from other layout tools.

Allegro PCB SI (the one without the S parameter capabilities) is probably
the best tool for a rapid, complete analysis of a board and has good
features for export to obtain timing data to allow easy post-route STA and
to do a report. It has a lot of depth and capability that is mainly learned
by experience. The UI is pretty good but needs a bit of work for some menus.
The S parameter version looks pretty neat and I'm looking forward to trying
it. One problem with the tool is that it doesn't have a built in import from
Mentor Expedition.

Hyperlynx has some great utilities like eye mask, PRBS generation (not just
random patterns), and other info regarding comparing loss due to tan delta
or skin effect, etc. It is very easy to use (a couple of hours and you are
on your way). Unfortunately, the UI is inefficient for rapid analysis of a
whole board but it is good for looking at key nets in detail. The waveform
viewer leaves a lot to be desired. The tool has a great rapid cross-talk
analysis feature that the other two tools lack. It's display of cross-talk
coupled tracks is really useful. The next release, 7.5, promises to fix a
few of the inefficiences. Hyperlynx has import capabilities from most
popular layout tools.

All three tools are approaching each other in price for the full packages.

Cheers,

Kai