[SI-LIST] SI Question 1 of 3: "Quiet" lines over split in ground plane

  • From: "John-Paul Coetzee" <jpcoetzee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:25:15 +0100

I am working on a telecoms design with Analog and Digital areas.  The =
whole unit is=20
inside a thick metal box, with the PCB bolted and grounded to the =
chassis across=20
the board.  Various parts of the PCB are also further isolated by slots =
in the=20
ground and power planes and also by walls bolted to exposed ground plane =
on the top=20
and bottom of the board.

Here is an ASCII picture of small part of the board showing a digital =
area, analog=20
area, the slots isolating those areas and the soild metal wall. You will =
only be=20
able to see this picture properly in monospaced font

There are 3 SPI serial data and clock lines crossing into the analog =
zone.  These=20
are only active in the first few seconds after power-up after which they =
are held=20
low.

What are the risks of these "quiet" signals crossing the slot?

|                             #########                   D I G I T A L  =
 G R O U N D
+--------------------------
|                  |         |#########                   |              =
           =20
|                  |         |#########                   |              =
           =20
|                  |         |#########                   |         S L =
O T         =20
+--------------------------
|                  |    L    |### A ###                   =20
|                  |         |###   ###
|                  |    O    |### L ###
|                  |         |###   ###
|                  |    T    |### L ###                   A N A L O G   =
G R O U N D

--
JP Coetzee  (was JP Nicholls) /  jpcoetzee@xxxxxxxx =
<mailto:jpcoetzee@xxxxxxxx>=20