[SI-LIST] Re: SI Position Open READ THIS!!!!

  • From: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:35:47 EDT

Bo:

Please don't take personal offense at the following. Most of your comments
are on target; however, there are several of us "older dawgs" who have been
providing guidance and education/tutorials in SI long before 1990. For the
microwave dudes, transmission line characteristics and their associated
impedance transformations versus frequency were standard fare to even be in
the design area. I used SI techniques in 1961 to design a folded resonant
cavity S-band (2.4 GHz), low-noise (1.2 dB noise figure) receiver that was
1/8-inch thick and one-inch square. I used two layers of teflon-fiberglass
PCB material to build a narrowband signal frequency filter at 2.4 GHz, a
2.397 GHz local oscillator (LO) tank, and a 30 MHz intermediate frequency
(IF) tank. I used a single Tunnel diode that operated at 300 UA at 375 mVdc
to achieve 14 dB signal plus down-conversion gain. The effort was for the
USAF and not for comercialization.

"SI" has only recently become familiar to the digital "ones and zeros" crowd
that now realize that they must learn analog techniques to rise to the next
level of electronic systems education. The market volume demand for
communications networks is of course the primary driver today.

My particular strength that got me into the currently popular digital SI
field was EMI. As many now know, radiated emissions problems usually have
their roots in poor SI designs on PCBs.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting
(408)727-5697

            *** Serving Your Needs with technical Excellence ***