[SI-LIST] Re: SI Position Open READ THIS!!!!

  • From: "Jackson, T L" <t.l.jackson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Si-List@Freelists. Org" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:02:24 -0800

It has been my experience that, with a few exceptions, US engineering
schools turn out a person with a reasonable grounding in fundamentals.
These fundamentals are used as a basis to add the specific domain knowledge,
i.e. EMC, SI, etc., that current technology requires.  I believe that is the
appropriate role of an engineering school.

Industry, unfortunately, only seems to want to hire a person with the
skillset to solve today's problem.  They don't seem to be interested in
hiring people who have the ability to adapt to future needs.  I am opposed
to engineering schools catering to industry by turning individuals that have
only the skillset of the day.  As evidence, I will point to the San Jose
Mercury-News article of a few days ago that reported that, despite the
layoffs in "Silicon Valley", employers are trying to increase the number of
H1-B visas issued.  Their claim is that the needed skill are not available
domestically.  I believe that somewhere in the unemployed are individuals
who could, with a little training or opportunity, acquire the desired
skillsets.

As someone would graduated in the 1970's, I have only been able to stay
employable in a technical role because the fundamentals I learned in college
allowed me to learn new technologies as they were deployed.  Believe me, the
"hot" skillsets that industry was looking for in 1974 were very different
from the skillset they seem to want now.

TJ
Thomas L. Jackson, PE
Staff System Engineer
L1-50, Remote Sensing Systems Engineering
Missiles and Space Operations
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
telephone: (408) 742-2013
facsimile: (408) 742-7701