[SI-LIST] Re: SI FAQ (frequently asked questions) document. (do we need one???)

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:33:11 -0800

IMHO,

I think having a FAQ implies there's going to be an answer provided.  As
you say, for many (most?) of the discussions, we don't reach absolute
concensus.  So I don't know what the "answer" to the FAQ would be. =20

I also don't think the SI List wants to take on the position of
providing an absolute answer, which might be implied by someone doing
the editing for the FAQ.  Providing "answers" in the context of a
discussion group is one thing, narrowing down to a single definitive
answer (or group of answers) is quite another.

And frankly, it sounds like a LOT of work - at first, and on-going.

I believe having a repository of past discussions is the best approach,
and that's provided.  Perhaps the search engine might be improved, but I
haven't seen the need for that.

What I'd love to see is an automated filter for when someone asks about
something that's been discussed "ad nauseum" (they clearly haven't
searched the archives for previous content), but I don't think that's
realistic.

Jeff Loyer