[SI-LIST] Re: SI FAQ (frequently asked questions) document. (do we need one???)

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:07:36 -0600

Ray,

I like the idea, but I fear for the person(s) volunteering to
generate/maintain it.  It could evolve into a lot of work
for that person (who is sure to get plenty of "suggestions"
along the way from the SI-List community).

As an alternative to a standard/common FAQ, would you consider
a WIKI?  For those who are not familiar with WIKIs, they
are open-access web pages that anyone can freely
add to and edit.

There are several good examples out there
(http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki,
http://wiki.tcl.tk/, ...) that are working quite well.

In using a WIKI, we would effectively "share the fun" of
a FAQ list, could explore additional features (like
"how to set up Hspice for IBIS model", ...).

That said, WIKIs don't come free in terms of sys admin
support/maintenance.  When someone inadvertantly
(or intentionally) messes up a page, sys admin would
need to help restore backups, etc.

Anyway, something to consider...

Take care,
Pat

> I'm pretty certain that most list users have noticed that many of the
> same questions are being posed and answered over and over
> again. There
> are always people new to SI/EMC and/or the list who haven't benefited
> from the past discussions and who haven't had the inclination to paw
> through the accumulated gigabytes of past list traffic to
> search for an
> answer.
>
> It has been mentioned in the past, and has recently reoccured
> to me that
> perhaps a SI FAQ that would be available on the
> www.si-list.org web site
> would be a generally useful thing.
>
> I personally don't have the bandwidth to put one together at
> this time,
> but was wondering if any of the list members might be interested in
> taking on  or becoming involved in this extracurricular activity.
> Perhaps someone could coordinate the project and others could
> contribute
> concise write-ups on various topics based on either their own
> knowledge
> or on past postings. As is evidenced by the spirited discussion that
> take place on the list, some topics don't have a single
> simple answer,
> but have good arguments (frequently conflicting) from various
> viewpoints. The FAQ could address those topics by presenting
> the various
> viewpoints rather than declaring there is only one single answer.
>
> There are a lot of ways this could be started if anyone feels like
> getting involved in such an effort. Maybe if a list of common
> questions/topics were put together and posted to the list
> those who have
> knowledge of specific areas could volunteer to write up those
> areas. The
> coordinator/manager then could compile/format the various
> topics into a
> FAQ document.
>
> Anyway, I thought I'd toss the concept out to the list for
> comments and
> discussion to determine what the general feeling on the
> subject of an SI
> FAQ is and to see if there are any members willing to become
> involved in
> one way or another.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org