[SI-LIST] Re: SDRAM connection

  • From: "Mehrdad Salami" <msalami@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:11:49 +1000

Adeel,

It depends on SDRAM controller in your processor. If you have
controller, follow their recommendation of how to connect the external
address lines. The processor uses 23 address lines internally and
divides them to 13 for row and 10 for column. Then the processor
delivers them on external address lines based on predefined timing (for
both controller and SDRAM chip). Delivering on which external address
lines depends on the SDRAM controller. There are also three signals
which is used for commands (CAS, RAS and WE) and generated by SDRAM
controller. Most controllers also have Chip select signal.

If you don't have SDRAM controller in your processor, it would be hard
(if not impossible) to use SDRAM. You need to take care of refreshing,
changing the address lines and sending commands based on the SDRAM
clock. For such cases I recommend to use FPGA between processor and
SDRAM. Write the SDRAM controller on FPGA and processor can request data
from FPGA instead of dealing with SDRAM directly.

Cheers

Sal