[SI-LIST] Re: SDRAM bus termination

  • From: "San Miguel, Shane" <shane.san.miguel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Raj, Shankar" <Shankar.Raj@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 07:58:00 -0700

Raj,

The termination to 1.25V is needed on a mother board type bus for a lot =
of reasons, one being to dampen reflections.  Typical trace length for a =
desktop PC is probably 8-11" (this is just a way ballpark figure) with =
multiple DRAMs on the channel (could be as high as 18 DRAMs per DIMM =
times 2-4DIMMs).  You're talking about a distance of 3-5" with only two =
DRAMs on the bus (I am assuming a physical stacked DRAM arrangement).  I =
would say to check Howard Johnson's book about the wavelength versus bus =
length and I bet the results would be more favorable for your =
short/light bus than for the long/heavy motherboard bus.  Also it helps =
to think of the loading difference between your bus and the long/heavy =
bus as in a motherboard environment.  Your bus is more like a video card =
and DDR is used very successfully in that app in a point to point config =
such as you are suggesting. =20

We can talk offline if you like, no need to bug the list.  I don't =
pretend to be expert to the level of some on this list but I'll tell you =
everything I know if you wanna ask.

Shane San Miguel=20
Product Engineer=20
Platform Memory Operations=20