[SI-LIST] Re: SDD21 and SDD11

  • From: <Wolfgang.Maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <johnlinc@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:53:15 +0000

Hello John,

>> Can I say to meet S21 shall be OK for signal transmission?

Well, not necessarily. E.g. if your transmitter is not well matched to the line
impedance then the reflected signal sill get re-reflected at the transmitter
side and eventually end up at the receiver side, where it gets superimposed on
the desired data signal. If this reflection arrives at the same time as a
subsequent data transition you get an increase in timing jitter.

Take my example with S21=-0.5dB, S11=-9.6dB means the reflected signal has
about 30% of the incident amplitude. If the driver is strongly mismatched then
you get almost as much at the receiver!

Wolfgang