[SI-LIST] Re: SATA intra pair flipping

  • From: "Marc Humphreys" <mhumphreys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lenkisch, Andreas" <Andreas.Lenkisch@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:15:43 -0800

Andreas,
I've worked on a bunch of SAS/SATA disk array projects, but I can't
remember off the top of my head whether it is supported or not, but you
might want to contact your local LSI resource or find a couple of their
datasheets.

Contrary to Steve's comment, in many large data storage products or
rackmount systems and blade servers uisng sas/sata drives never use any
cables but use hot swap trays that connect directly into a backplane, riser
cards or custom flex assemblies.  Routing of course can always be a
challenge so, it seems logical that pin sense swapping may be an option.
However, that is only usefully if you have direct control of the controller
as I don't believe it would be an autosense capability. Disk side is not
configurable.

Marc