[SI-LIST] Re: SATA board to board connector question

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:31:25 -0700

Orin, when it comes to fast signals, Lee is absolutely correct when he
suggests looking at not just the underlying resin, but the laminate
weave as well. Paying attention to the weave selection and routing in
light of the selected weave can buy a lot of performance for the price
of some homework. The extra loss in strip line versus microstrip can be
as much of a good thing as bad. It just depends.

Regards,

Steve.

olaney@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> But that's backward from what I said.  All else being equal, microstrip
> has the edge.  Here's one citation:
> Microstrip versus balanced stripline
> Masse, D.   Pucel, R.A.   Hartwig, C.P.
> This paper appears in: Proceedings of the IEEE
> Publication Date: Aug. 1968
> Volume: 56,  Issue: 8
> On page(s): 1359- 1360
> Abstract
> Microstrip is found to exhibit lower loss than balanced strip-line of a
> comparable physical structure. This property is traced to conduction loss
> theoretically and is confirmed experimentally.
> Here's another:
> //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list/12-2005/msg00155.html
> Orin
>
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:07:31 -0700 "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
> writes:
> Thanks for your kind words regarding the article.  I’d point out that my
> results were based on the effects not only of Nelco N4000-SI (with a
> corresponding Er = 3.4, Df = 0.007), but also of more common (cheap) FR4
> materials with Er = 4.2 and Df as high as 0.017.
>
> The only assertion I was questioning was that microstrip is more lossy
> than stripline – do you have any data supporting this?
> Jeff Loyer

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: