[SI-LIST] Re: S element syntax question

  • From: Mike Harwood <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ria R <ria_rr_84@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:46:28 +0000

Ria - you may have tried these already but some suggestions are:

1. Check that the port ordering for the S-parameters is the same as for
the circuit call. That is, check that the S-parameters file is
constructed as in_p, in_n, out_p, out_n rather than in_p, out_p, in_n,
out_n. I have seen both conventions used. If you look at the s4p file at
low frequencies you can tell whether the S31 or S21 term is closest to
unity. Changing the line starting with S1 couls quickly identify this
problem.

2. I have always used single quotes around the '***.s4p' statement. If
this is the problem I can't see the simulation running, but worth a go.

3. The use of gnd should work but you could try using a "0" instead
depending on your global options.

Rgds, Mike.

Ria R wrote:
> Folks,
>   I am trying to simulate a simple topology using hspice.
>   Basically, my output shows static lines when the hspice deck encounters the
> s parameter model which I call out using the S element statement
> This is how my syntax looks: (It is a 4 port S param file)
> S1 in_p in_n out_p out_n gnd MNAME = Sparam
> .MODEL Sparam S N=4 TSTONEFILE ="***.s4p"
>
> What can be wrong in the above syntax for the waveform to stop showing
> signals when it gets to this point?
>
> Thanks,
> Ria

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

HSZ Consulting:

Web-site: http://www.hszconsulting.com
Contact: Mike Harwood + 44 7761 530963
Contact: Andre Szczepanek +44 7894 278285

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: