[SI-LIST] Re: Running analog video on micro-coax

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ldieguez@xxxxxxxxxx>, <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, "SI-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:51:52 -0700

Leonard

The driver is loaded into a 75 Ohm trace.  The output of the trace sees a 25
Ohm resistor in series with a 50 Ohm Zo.  So the output of the 75 Ohm trace
see 25 + 50 Ohms or 75 Ohms.  If properly designed there should be minimal
reflections from this point.  This system works if the end of the 50 Ohm
coax is well terminated and you have no reflection coming back. If the end
of the 50 Ohm coax is not well terminated and are getting reflections that
need to be taken care of at the driver's end then you will need to design a
matching network at the 50/75 Ohm junction.  But with 100 MHz signals you
should be able to get a good 50 Ohm termination, i.e. no reflections from
the destination that need to be properly terminated at the driver's end.
That is why I suggested going to a matching network from suppliers like Mini
Circuits if Joel needed better performance.

The simple resistor, if suited to Joel's needs is the lowest cost system.
Next up the line would be the matching network.  Adding a buffer is the most
expensive.  From a private email Joel stated that he could not tolerate the
insertion loss of a passive network so it is likely he will have to use a
buffer.

You are correct in that looking back from the load's end of the line the 50
Ohm coax will see a 100 Ohm load but this is not be a problem if there is no
energy coming from the load back to this point.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed(R) Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane
Beaverton, OR 97008