[SI-LIST] Re: Rs in W-element

  • From: jan.vercammen1@xxxxxxxx
  • To: TerenceHsieh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:48:14 +0100

Terence,

it is possible to plot the series (L and Rs) and shunt (C and Y)  PUL
parameters.

For example, to find the series elements use a short-circuited
transmission line
and excite it with a 1Amp AC current source. To extract Rs one should plot
the
real part of the voltage measured at the excited port. To plot the
inductance
L just plot the expression vi(port_voltage)/(2*pi*frequency).

To find the shunt parameters use an open ended transmission line. The real
part reveals Y
and the reactive part the capacitance C.

Below is an example of a Spice file to extract L and Rs. I have used an
.alter to change the rs
value (doubled it). The plot reveals that Rs changes also. So the Spice
W-element is just
doing what it should do.

One word of caution. As the line becomes electrically "long" there will be
standing waves.
So I have used a very short line of length 0.0025 (1/400). So if you want
to plot
the unit lengt parameters multiply by 1/0.0025=400. You can make the
length shorter if you whish.

For this example I used:

400*ac2.vr(1)   400*ac2.vi(1)/(2*pi*frequency)

to plot the unit length resistance and inductance respectively

Kind regards,

Jan Vercammen

************************

w-element test

.param rs=1.166330e-03

.MODEL singleline W MODELTYPE=RLGC, N=1
+ Lo = 3.149855e-07
+ Co = 1.061570e-10
+ Ro = 2.745859e+00
+ Go = 0.000000e+00
+ Rs = rs
+ Gd = 6.225371e-12

iac 0 1 ac 1
w1  1 0 0 0 singleline len=0.0025

.ac dec 25 0.1meg 2e9
.save vr(1) vi(1)

*** double Rs
.alter
.param rs='2*1.166330e-03'

.end

<TerenceHsieh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
22/12/2005 08:37
Please respond to TerenceHsieh

        To:     <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:     (bcc: Jan Vercammen/AMEMV/AGFA)
        Subject:        [SI-LIST] Rs in W-element

Dear all
          I have a question about W-element in Hspice. When I use
W-element presented by RLGC Matrix,
the matrix parameter looks as below
.MODEL singleline W MODELTYPE=RLGC, N=1
+ Lo = 3.149855e-07
+ Co = 1.061570e-10
+ Ro = 2.745859e+00
+ Go = 0.000000e+00
+ Rs = 1.166330e-03
+ Gd = 6.225371e-12

In Hspice manual description, the resistance with skin effect is
R(f)=Ro+(square_root f)(1+j)Rs
For different frequency there should be different resistance
performance.
However, even I simulate with very high frequency (several Ghz), the
loss of the transmission line is the same.
I have set the INCLUDERSIMAG=YES, and also modify Rs to a big value. The
loss never changes.
How could this happen? Is there some setting I missed?

terence

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org