[SI-LIST] Re: Routing differential lines as single ended traces ?

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Grasso, Charles" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:49:32 -0700

Charles,

I knew someone would ask that question!  I usually design stackups with 4
mils of laminate between the stripline layer and its plane.  When I do that,
a 10 mil edge to edge separation results in one trace diminishing the
impedance of its neighbor by about 1%.  That's not a big drop and 10 mil
separation has not turned out to be a problem for routing the board.

As you can see, there is a judgment call to be made here.

5% would be half the entire impedance error budget we allow and 10% would be
all of it.

Hope this helps.

lee