[SI-LIST] Re: Routing differential lines as single ended traces ?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 19:22:38 -0700

On 9/25/2011 6:57 PM, Low Jerry wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently came across a validation platform where the LVDS differential
> lines are routed as single ended traces traces instead of tightly coupled
> differential pairs. The motivation I found was so that they could use each
> of the pairs as single ended traces when needed as well. When I probed
> deeper it seems like the person who proposed this scheme has left. So I
> would like to seek help here on some clarification
>
>     - Will a scheme like this impact the performance of the differential pair
The scheme itself will not.
>     ? Since I understand that differential routing is more immune to noise.
That is largely a myth.  There are only a few very special circumstances
where tightly coupled pairs exhibit better noise rejection to PCB trace
noise aggressors than reasonably routed, loosely coupled pairs.
>     - What are the considerations/feasiblity studies that need to be done
>     before implementing a scheme like this ?
They are the same as with any signal integrity requirements.  The scheme
doesn't impose anything extra.  It does remove some headaches.
>     - Since this is a validation platform what measures can be taken ensure
>     that the performance seen are similar to a production platform if the
>     production platform is routed in differential.
Homework gets done or it doesn't.

Steve

> Thanks in advance for the feedbacks. Have a great day.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                  http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir