[SI-LIST] Re: Routing diff pair HDMI signals at 85 Ohms as opposed to 100 Ohms reduces radiation?

  • From: Joseph.Schachner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:27:27 -0500

Re: "Much of the reasoning for 85 ohms is outlined in the paper "Improve
Storage IO Performance by Using 85Ohm Package and Motherboard Routing"..."
I bought that paper today and read it, after seeing your reference.  The
paper seeks to prove that 85 ohms is in fact better, and has a small  (one
sentence) explanation in the first section that gives a couple of reasons
why that should be so. I think I am within the license terms if I quote
that one sentence:
"Generally speaking, the reasons for 85Ohm design over 100Ohm include less
loss, ease in routing (cost saving), and better overall impedance match
(and hence better interconnect performance) when via on board and vertical
path in package are considered. "

The rest of the paper seems focused on demonstrating, by simulation and
measurement of a particular structure, that 85 ohm design is in fact
better.  It does not go further into the reasoning behind why we expect
that that is so. Is there something more that you could say about that? It
does not give any guidance in the way vias should be constructed to yield
better impedance, for example.

---- Joe S.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: