[SI-LIST] Re: Rise-time of Cascaded Lossy T- Lines

  • From: Hirshtal Itzhak <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:50:36 +0200

This mail was sent from ELTA SYS LTD.

Feb-25th-03

Hello,

I've been reading Mr. Eric Bogatin's "Lossy Transmission Lines: Plain
and Simple" paper and have a question, which I hope those of you who
have also read it could answer (The same reasoning I present here also
follows, to my understanding, from Mr. Howard Johnson's "Black Magic"
book, App. B):

On page 21 of his paper, Mr. Bogatin presents the Root-of-Sum-of-Squares
equation for calculating the rise-time at the end of a lossy
transmission line, as a function of the driver rise-time and the 3-dB
rise-time of the interconnect.

It seems from this paper as if one can cascade several interconnects and
get the total effective rise-time of the whole interconnect by using the
equation as follows: Take the individual 3dB-rise-times of the
individual interconnects and take the square-root of their sum of
squares.

But it seems there is a problem with this use of the equation. One can
take a long interconnect, and calculate its effective rise-time using 2
methods: as an un-divided interconnect, or sub-divide it to (e.g.)  2
identical halves, and do the arithmetic again. Using the 2nd method one
gets a result which is (1/square-root of 2) of the "undivided"
calculation rise-time.

This is a strange result, so I must be missing something, but what?

Thanks for anyone who can help

Itzhak Hirshtal

Elta Systems

Israel

This message is processed by the PrivaWall Email Security Server.

List archives are viewable at: