[SI-LIST] Re: Ringing in Lumped & Distributed Circuits

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 07:56:14 -0400

Rajan

Pozar, in his book, Microwave Engineering, has a chapter on resonance
and covers both lumped circuit resonators and transmission line
resonators. Both lumped and distributed circuits resonate.

regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

On 5/17/2011 7:35 AM, Rajan Hansa wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>

> Thanks for your reply but I am sorry that I am not able to relate it with
> electrical circuits.
>

> Do you mean to say that distributed electrical circuits ring even if it's
> properly terminated ?
>

> Does ringing phenomenon ( overshoot&   undershoot) in lumped circuit is
> different than distributed circuit ?
>

> Rgds,
>
> Rajan
>

> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM, steve weir<weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> Rajan,
>>
>> Distributed networks most definitely can and do ring. Earth's atmosphere up
>> to the ionosphere makes a great example: the Schumann Resonance at just
>> under 8Hz.
>>
>> Steve
>>

>> On 5/17/2011 3:53 AM, Rajan Hansa wrote:
>>
>>>   Hello Experts,
>>>

>>> I have a problem understanding ringing concept in lumped and distributed
>>> circuits. What I have learned that lumped circuits may or may not ring
>>> depending on the Q of the circuit but distributed circuits with terminated
>>> load will not have any ringing.
>>>

>>> where Q for RLC circuit = (L/C)1/2 /R
>>>

>>> I would like know :
>>>

>>> 1)      Why Q is not important in distributed circuits ? If it’s important
>>> then how termination resistor affects Q in distributed circuit ?
>>>

>>> 2)      Is ringing phenomenon ( overshoot&   undershoot) in lumped circuit
>>> is
>>> different than distributed circuit ?
>>>

>>> Rgds,
>>>
>>> Rajan