[SI-LIST] Re: Right Angle Bends

  • From: Jeff Walden <jwalden@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:29:40 -0400

@Scott hahaha .. cocktail time on a Friday eh? Current PCB manufacturing
capability as well as simulation technology really negates and obsoletes
decades old technology. With great caution do I ever consider relevant
"papers" over 5 years old. I know owners of improved via tech, for instance,
but are mechanical guys and not getting it out there very well ==
frustrating.
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lee
>
> Agreed.  Vias are much more worserer than right angle bends, whether you
> are dealing with digital or RF signals.  This is why low noise RF
> designs are primarily microstrip.
>

> regards,
>
> Scott
>

> Scott McMorrow
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
> 121 North River Drive
> Narragansett, RI 02882
> (401) 284-1827 Business
> (401) 284-1840 Fax
>
> http://www.teraspeed.com
>
> Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
>

> On 7/15/2011 6:47 PM, Lee Ritchey wrote:
> > It is odd that those who fret over right angle bends seem to ignore
> > the fact that there is at least on at every via where a trace
> > connects.  My old friend, Dan Murphy, called this "looking where the
> > light is good."
> >
> > The same engineers used dual in line IC packages by the millions with
> > as many as three right angle bends in each lead.  They weren't
> > visible, so they didn't count!

Jeffrey L Walden

EMC/SI RF analysis and product development
jwalden@xxxxxxxx
(866)547-5365

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net