[SI-LIST] Re: Right Angle Bends

  • From: Julian Ferry <julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brad Brim <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Jeff Walden' <jwalden@xxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:48:09 +0000

I think one of the problems here is that like with most myths or urban legends,
there is a kernel of truth to it.

It is pure, unarguable physics that the capacitance will go down and the
inductance will go up in a right angle bend.  The question is whether that
change matters in a particular application.

For some applications, like in high power microwave or RF applications, this
effect can be significant enough relative to other factors that it is
definitely worth worrying about.

But in the grand scheme of things in the current SI world, this change is way
down on the list of potential problems. It is effectively swamped out by many
other effects (like our relatively crappy connectors, for one example...)

I think these guys wrote a pretty decent little paper with some math that can
help determine whether you might need to worry about bends.

http://www.millertechinc.com/pdf_files/mti_tn063_microstrip_right_angle_bends.pdf

Also keep in mind that we in the SI world are mostly dealing with pulsed
signals, where a large portion of the energy is contained in the lower
frequency components.  The excess capacitance will only affect the very high
frequency components. But in the microwave environment, it's all about the high
frequency signal, so a bend can be a much greater concern.

Julian Ferry
High Speed Engineering Manager
Samtec, Inc