[SI-LIST] Re: Return loss

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:36:39 -0400

Qazi

Return loss represents the sum total of power reflected back to the
measured port.  This includes power reflected within the length of the
interconnect and from the far end port.  When reflections occur away
from the near end port being measured, that reflection is subject to
attenuation to the reflection and from the reflection.  Thus, the
reflection is attenuated.  In RF this fact is used to improve return
loss by using attenuation pads to improve return loss.

best regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

On 9/2/2011 5:03 PM, Qazi Iqbal wrote:
> Weston,
>
> I am a bit confused when we co-relate reflection and the length of
> interconnect. Isn't impedance an instantaneous concept when calculating the
> reflection co-efficient at the termination? There should be attenuation for
> the added length (be it dielectric or resistive) but why would there be any
> effect of length on the reflection?
>
> Rgds,
> Qazi

List technical documents are available at: