[SI-LIST] Re: Return current of a trace in stripline

  • From: "Mustafa Yousuf" <yousufs432@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bala89si@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 14:40:40 -0700

Hi Bala,

The return current is always split between the reference planes on both
sides of the trace. The farther the plane the less is the return current
flowing in that plane. From experience, in order for the return current to
flow in the closest reference plane, the other plane distance from the trace
should in the order 3-4 times as big as  the distance of the closer plane.
In this case you have two issues:
        1. both planes are almost at the same distance (3.7 and 4.3 mils)
from the stripline, so the return current will be split  almost equally
between the two.
        2. The split in the power plane will cause serious problems. The
return current will look for the path of least inductance and you don't know
where that would be. It may very well hit a critical signal far away from
your original signal and result in significant cross talk to  the other
signal which may be safe otherwise.
We had serious issues in similar situation (in DDR) as you described that
caused failure of the memory. Hence you should be concerned about this case.

Thanks,

Mustafa