[SI-LIST] Re: Return current of a trace in stripline

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 12:15:33 -0400

For symmetric stripline, 1/2 half of the current will be referenced to the
split voltage plane.  As a result, when comparing a microstrip split to
stripline with one of the two plane split, I would generally expect a 6 dB
reduction in crosstalk for the stripline case, given an apples-to-apples
comparison.  That would mean  12 dB crosstalk peaking vs. the solid plane
baseline, compared to the 0 dB peaking that Mustafa and his team measured.
 Yes, that is a 2 to 1 reduction, but there is still 5 to 1 effective
crosstalk peaking.  This may, or many not, be a problem.  However, if there
are large numbers of signals crossing the split, it only takes twice the
number switching simultaneously to make up the difference between
microstrip and stripline.  Effectively this might push the probability of a
bit error further down the curve in a parallel single ended bus, since the
probability of multiple data bits aligning to form the worst case have been
reduced.
regards,

Scott

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Loyer, Jeff <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you Mustafa for sharing that.
> For your case, it appears you were crossing a split in the plane of a
> microstrip structure, which is quite a different scenario than what I was
> addressing.  I was addressing the original question of having a split in
> one of the reference planes of a stripline structure.  I wish I knew your
> exact stackup; I believe that if you had a continuous plane on layer 3
> (assuming the microstrip is on layer 1 and the split plane is on layer 2)
> very close to layer 2, you would only have seen effects due to power plane
> noise.
> While I haven't tried your exact scenario, I have tried routing DDR data
> signals as microstrip referenced to VDDQ (as a pathological experiment).
>  In that case, we found margin degradation was solely a function of noise
> on the VDDQ plane; we couldn't find any correlation to crosstalk
> aggressors.  Note that, in this case, there wasn't any plane split, but
> there was a huge reference plane disconnect at the CPU and DIMMs.
>
> I'm not a big proponent of crossing split planes, but believe it shouldn't
> automatically be discarded lest you end up with more layers than you
> actually need.
>
> I am a proponent of understanding the mechanisms better so that we can
> intelligently decide when it's appropriate and when it's not.
>
> Thanks again for sharing your data and insights,
> Jeff Loyer

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
16 Stormy Brook Rd
Falmouth, ME 04105

(401) 284-1827 Business

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: