[SI-LIST] Re: Return current crosstalk?

  • From: Nelson Don <dhwn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:06:22 -0500

Patrick,
   I believe that you'll be fine routing this way; the return currents
will be confined to the surfaces of the plane, which is likely several
skin-depths thick.  The time you'd want to worry about two horizontal
layers would be in a dual stripline configuration, where you have two
routing layers between two ground planes.  Single striplines are quite
forgiving!

   Just remember that there are other ways for crosstalk to creep into
your system... For instance: if you drop a via to another routing layer
that is not referenced to the same ground plane, the return currents
will need to seek a path from one plane to the other, either through an
inter-plane via or bypass capacitor.  If you don't have such a path
near this kind of layer change, you can introduce crosstalk even though
the victim and aggressor signal traces are nowhere near each other
because their return currents could interact.

   To be safe, either transition only between routing layers that share
a single reference plane (in which case, the return current snakes
through the via anti-pad from one surface to the other) or, if you must
go to another routing layer with a different reference plane, add an
interplane via (if ground to ground) or a decoupling cap (if ground to
power).  This will keep your return currents nicely controlled.

hope this helps,
-don
--
Don Nelson
"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness.  You

List FAQ wiki page is located at:
                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org