[SI-LIST] Re: Return Path

  • From: Darshan Mehta <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:07:38 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,

Now I understood why calculation does not give correct answer and field solvers
are used for Impedance calculation.

Could you please tell me which book I should refer to know more about ?How the
field Solver works?, I am really keen to know about field solvers.

Thanks,

Darshan Mehta

steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Darshan, please read Dr. Bogatin's book thoroughly.  He demonstrates:

1. That all closed form formulas for wave guide impedance are approximations
with limited accuracy over finite ranges.
2. Line to line coupling for several configurations.
3. That to get a really accurate answer you need to use a field solver.

Steve.
At 12:24 AM 8/5/2005 -0700, Darshan Mehta wrote:

Steve and Abhijit,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

Once again Thanks for clarifying my doubts.

The formula for Capacitance calculation for Stripline configuration is as
follows (pF/inch);

C = 1.4 * Er / ln [ 2.4 * (b / w)]

Where b = total height of Dielectric between the Plane Layer and w is the width
of Trace.

Generally we take the height between the Plane layers (return current path) as
the b in the capacitance calculation. But as per your mail if the nearby
conductors also act as a return current, what dielectric height I should
consider while calculating the Capacitance.

Thanks,

Darshan Mehta

steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
   Darshan, Abhijit, I find Dr. Bogatin's book "Signal Integrity Simplified"
   is an excellent text that presents the material clearly without losing
   technical accuracy. It belongs right up there with other excellent books
   such as those by Dr. Johnson, Dally & Poulton, Young, and Hall. And I am
   not just saying that because it features Teraspeed's development of "Final
   Inch" for Samtec.

   Abhijit is correct. Any conductor is a better wave guide than
   dielectric. Either provide conductors to supply the return path by
   intention, or your signals will find other conductors on their own.

   Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org