[SI-LIST] Re: Resonant Modes, Ansoft presentation slides posted

  • From: Istvan Novak - Board Design Technology <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx, xuzhengrong <xuzhengrong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:13:44 -0400

FYI;

The slides Steve referred to in his mail below are available, either =
at
the ansoft FTP site:

ftp://ftp.ansoftsupport.com/download/workshop/emi_emc_boston_2007/Ans=
oft_EMI_Workshop_SUN_for_22Aug07_v2.pdf

or as the top item on

http://home.att.net/~istvan.novak/papers.html

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Misrosystems

steve weir wrote On 08/29/07 04:57,:

> [...]
>>For Q indicates the ratio of  storage and loss,  does it mean large=
r number
>>of Mode with higher resonant frequency will let more energy pass?
>>
>>Best  Regards
>>Zhengrong Xu
>>

>>-----=D3=CA=BC=FE=D4=AD=BC=FE-----
>>=B7=A2=BC=FE=C8=CB: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:si-list-bo=
unce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>>=B4=FA=B1=ED steve weir
>>=B7=A2=CB=CD=CA=B1=BC=E4: 2007=C4=EA8=D4=C229=C8=D5 14:02
>>=CA=D5=BC=FE=C8=CB: xuzhengrong@xxxxxxxxxx
>>=B3=AD=CB=CD: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>=D6=F7=CC=E2: [SI-LIST] Re: Resonant Modes
>>
>>Zhengrong,
>>
>>Pay attention to the resonances that are within the bandwidth of si=
gnificant
>>signal energy from your loads and/or injected into your return path=
.

>>Q depends on the capacitors and materials you use for your PCB. Low=
 mounted
>>inductance capacitors such as X2Ys exhibit lower Qs than capacitors=
 with
>>higher mounted inductances and similar ESRs.
>>
>>Cavities that are thinner and/or have higher tangent losses exhibit=
 lower Qs
>>than do thicker cavities and/or cavities with lower tangent loss.
>>
>>At the end of the day you are always fighting inductance in your ca=
pacitors
>>and interconnect. You can manipulate modes and Q by manipulating yo=
ur
>>capacitors and cavity geometries.
>>
>>Steve.
>>
>>xuzhengrong wrote:
>> =20
>>   =20
>>
>>>Oh, I am so sorry for that.=3D20
>>>I have sent another email in text format,  but i don't know why it=
 =3D=20
>>>hasn't been sent to all yet.
>>>When I sent to  si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,  i received several autorep=
lies=20
>>>=3D for their out of office.=3D20 So I sent  both to si-list@freel=
ists.org=20
>>>and =3D si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx this time.
>>>I'm new here and very glad to join in.=3D20 Could you tell me the=
=20
>>>relationship between si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and=20
>>>si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx? When i want to join the discussion,=
=20
>>>which =3D mail address will i send to?
>>>
>>>Thank you for your reminder with  best regards.=3D20 My question i=
s=20
>>>listed as follows.
>>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>I am new in using EM tools to analyze the plane pairs' resonance.
>>>After inputing the number of modes and computing, the results have=
 =3D=20
>>>several values including freqency and Q. Every mode has a certain=
=20
>>>frequency and =3D Q increases with the number of modes.=3D20 =3D20=
 Which=20
>>>mode should i pay most attention to?
>>>Why does Q value increase with the number of modes and frequency?
>>>How to analysze with these data and which information can i obtain=
=20
>>>from =3D it?
>>>=3D20
>>>Appreciate any idea about that.