[SI-LIST] Re: Resistors to use for DDR termination

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dp@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:23:22 -0400

Dimiter,
Choosing not to simulate this interface is a choice you can make, but it
certainly is not anything I would call engineering.  It is, however, not
clear to me whether you are talking about just series termination
resistors or both series termination and Vtt parallel termination.  If
you already have Vtt parallel termination, then your bus may very well
work. But again, it depends.  It depends on the particular devices and
packages that you use.  It depends on the Vtt termination resistor
values that you are using.  (Freescale, by the way, has an application
note where they recommend the use of 28 ohm termination to Vtt, which is
generally just a bit too stiff.)  It also depends on how much risk you
are willing to take in your design.

The simple answer to your question is "it depends,"  just as Mike
indicated.  After many simulations of many DDR interfaces over many
years, I've not see one yet that would work over PVT extremes without
any termination whatsoever.  I've seen a few that would work with 1 or 2
memory devices with just Vtt termination, and a majority that require
both Vtt termination and series termination.  DDR devices have
smokinFast^TM drive strengths and edge rates, which have a tendency to
overdrive the inputs of sensitive devices.  Generally series termination
can be removed when the controller has a hefty dynamic overshoot
tolerance, and can sustain massive amounts of current due to SSI on the
IO ground ring, without causing threshold violations at the receivers.

regards,

scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Dimiter Popoff wrote:

>thanks for the reply. Here is some more info:
>
>I will actually be soldering two DDR chips (x16 each) as close as possible to
>the 5200 chip.
>This is why I afforded at least the thoughts of no termination at all.
>
>My termination voltage is designed conservatively enough, no problems expected
>there.
>
>Simulating a DDR design at the conditions above sounds like a waste of time to
>me,
>and please don't go into suggesting more simulation, I am only looking for the
>right package/vendor/distributor of the resistors I have to use, I know the
>rest
>of the story.
>
>Thanks,
>Dimiter

>Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments
>
>http://www.tgi-sci.com

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org