[SI-LIST] Re: Resistor Network

  • From: Michael Nudelman <mnudelman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pvincent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pvincent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:42:37 -0400

RC network is a way to do not-so-critical termination. The problem being
that a capacitor of the small ones is way too small to act well in RC
parallel termination (the good value is around 200pF, and the one in small
RC terminators is 47pF, which is next to non-existent).
The last thing - teh resistor values in them are also may not match to what
you need (the set of values is limited). So your termination may become
unmatched.

I personally like discretes. Also, with R-networks, your layout may not be a
good one - you have to compromise on components' placement a lot.

However in non-critical signals (slow clocks, under 40MHz data-addr signals)
it may be OK to use RC-networks, even unmatching ones. As long as there is
no bad ringing and your overshoots are not "damaging" types.

Mike N.