[SI-LIST] Re: Remove Ground underneath Differential signal isdeservedor not?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yun <yunnan@xxxxxxxxxx>, silist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:17:12 -0700

yun,

The traces which we extracted and tested where 30" segments. Remember
that -56 dB is a magnitude of .00158. So, for a 30" line at 10 MHz with
a 1 Volt signal you would see 1.58 mV of noise. This is not a large
amount of crosstalk, except for analog signals. It is doubtful that
there would be crosstalk issues for any digital signal through a plane.
The high frequency crosstalk is significantly lower than this, and
therefore, negligible.

As for the configurations there were several:

5mil traces above and below a ground plane
edge-coupled stripline above a ground plane without a ground shield
edge-coupled stripline above a ground plane with a ground shield.

In all cases, Ansoft Maxwell 2D extractions were an extremely close
match to measurements in system.

regards,

Scott

List archives are viewable at: