[SI-LIST] Re: Relevance of Common Mode Return Loss

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Eric Bogatin <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:42:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Eric,
A few thoughts......
Given that one has meet the transmit specs for a given Serdes interface some
specs call out for the differential and common mode return loss as seen at the
receiver (SDD11 and SCD11) in order to design the receiver interface.  Does
this not infer the fidelity of the received signal for receiver design? This
can be measured although not trivial.  I would think any S21 measurements would
be difficult to make at the receiver (how do we get a probe on the chip rx).
Regards,
-Jory

Winnersh, UK, TSI, May 20, 2008
San Diego: EPSI, BBDP, July 28-31, 2008