[SI-LIST] Re: Regarding etch factor calculation

  • From: sai krishnan <sai_krishnan_s@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 05:36:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. For microstrip, I included soldermask thickness as
0.6mils.  I have not done any measurement. As mentioned in my email, my
observations are based on the caculcations from the Polar tool.  the
difference is around 5ohms.

I am seeing in my previous posting, alignment got distorted. I am posting my
query again:

I am trying to understand the EtchFactor value in the stackup. I am  checking
the PCB stackup received from fab house.    The impedance value resulting
from my calculation using Polar for microstrip lines,  differs from the
values  provided by the fab house.  For striplines, it comes closely to the
fabhouse calculations.

I am using the following approach:
Etch factor = W1 (bottom side width of a trace )  â?? W ( top side width of a
trace)    = copper thickness  (T)

For microstrip traces, I included the plating thickness and copper thickness
for the total thickness (T).   For stripline traces, just the copper
thickness of trace.

Does my approach on calculating Etchfactor requires any modifications.  Why I
am getting different impedance value for microstrip  .  Any inputs will be
helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
Sai