[SI-LIST] Re: Referencing multiple voltages in a stackup

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:02:20 -0400

Dudes,
There is a need to expand beyond the view of the "plane" and refocus
your thinking to power delivery vs. signal transmission.  Everyone wants
to conflate everything into one term called return current.
Unfortuntately, this conflation also happens at the text book level,
further complicating correct understanding.  In fact, two totally
seperate phenomena occur.

First, for Kirchhoff's Current Law to be satisfied, there has to be an
AC and a DC path from Vcc to Ground, and it must extend back to the
regulator.  This path, however does not need too, nor rarely does,
follow the path of the signal.  If there was no wire attached to the
output of a driver, this current would still exist.  This is the Power
Delivery Mode current.

Second, if we attach a wire to the driver, then current is diverted to
the signal line.  This current division is form of mode converstion into
Signal Mode.  In this process, most of the driver current is driven
down(up) the line.  It is in this area that really interesting things
happen, depending upon whether a signal is ground referenced, vcc driver
referenced or vcc other referenced.  For example, if the driver is
switching to a high state (positive logic) and the signal wire is
referenced to ground, then very little has to happen at the boundary
between the chip and the package.  Since vcc current at the driver is
already referenced to ground at the output transistors, and since there
is usually a ground connection fairly close to the driver bump, there is
no disruption in the path, and thus a smooth transition in the mode
converstion process.  (i.e. a significant percentage of the driver
energy is transferred to the signal wire.)  If the wire were infinitely
long, then current would continue to travel out away from the package to
infinity.  This energy is lost to the system and must be replenished by
the power supply regulator.  Where does this current come from?  It
comes from between Vcc and ground.  It comes from the power grid of the
system. This would be the Power Delivery Mode.

The power grid of the system is comprised of the regulator (VRM), power
delivery traces or planes, decoupling capacitors, package balls, vias
and bumps, and finally any on-die decoupling.  Fortunately, or
unfortunately depending on your point of view, the package, it's bumps,
vias, balls, pads and pcb breakouts, has a fairly low cutoff frequency
for power delivery purposes. Somewhere between 100 and 500 MHz  not a
hell of a lot of power supply energy is being passed through the package
power grid.  Why? Because there's just too much darn inductance.  So, if
you have a driver that is switching in 150 ns (2.33 GHz) you better hope
that the transition from die to signal wire is extremely good, and that
most of the energy has been transferred to the wire.  Otherwise,
whatever is left rattling around in the package and die must be
decoupled locally with on-die capacitance that can absorb the impact of
high frequency transients.  If this is not done properly then noise at
the die can grow to unacceptable levels.  There is nothing that can be
done at the PCB level which can resolve this issue, again, because of
the power/ground pin inductance in the way.

The goal of good silicon and package design is to convert as much of the
switching energy into a signal mode.  This relegates Kirchhoff to
recharging the "batteries" for the next switching cycle, which is
usually a lower frequency event than the switching transient.  This
lower frequency event occurs whether or not the signal path ever returns
to the driver.  For example, with an infinite line, energy converted to
the signal mode travels out and away from the package infinitely, lost
to the universe.  On the other side, at the receiver, energy received
from an infinitely long signal mode, needs to be converted back to Power
Mode by the package and the receiver.  If the receiver is terminated,
and the package is designed well, then a high percentage of the energy
is recovered.  Whatever energy is not recovered by the receiver (and
therefore terminated to Vcc and ground and decoupled by on die
capacitors) is reflected back out to the universe and is lost.  There is
reciprocity between package design for drivers and receivers, much like
there is reciprocity for transmitting and receiving antennas in the RF
world.

So, we can summarize that there are two modes of current in a device:
Power Delivery Mode and Signal Mode.  We can further state that the
package and drivers should be designed to facilitate conversion of
energy from one mode to as much of the Signal Mode as possible.  The
function of the driver and the package is to convert as much energy from
the Power Mode to the Signal Mode, much like an RF amplifier, feedline
and antenna's job is to convert as much energy from the Power Mode into
a propagating wave.  An efficient conversion leaves little high
frequency energy rattling around. The function of the receiver and
package is to convert as much energy from the Signal Mode back to the
Power Mode.

So, what about an unterminated receiver.  Oops ... conversion of energy
is near zero. So what happens?  Most all of the energy is reflected back
out to the universe.  And for a poorly matched driver?  A significant
amount of energy reflects back to the driver and needs to be absorbed by
the silicon Power Mode control devices (i.e. on-die capacitors),
increasing the amount of noice at the driver.  And what if you combine
an unterminated receiver with a poorly matched driver?  Well, the energy
just rattles around and around and around.  In the SI world we look at
these waveforms every day.  They have overshoot, undershoot, ringing and
have all sorts of nasty effects.  So we slap on resistors to absorb and
disipate the energy and keep it from slamming the die.  But, when it
slams the die there we go again causing energy to be converted from
Signal Mode back to Power Mode .... yuck!  Who does all the decoupling
work?  Why the silicon, of course ... until the energy drops below the
cutoff frequency of the package and is capable of being decoupled by the
PCB planes and decoupling capacitors.  There it propgates out and away
from the package in a circular wavefront.

So, you ask the question, "why is there so much high freqency noise
(>500 MHz)  on my power and ground planes?" Well, my  answer to this is
"Because you did not ground reference all your high edge rate signals."
Remember that we've said the purpose of the driver and the package is to
convert energy from the Power Mode to the Signal Mode and vice versa.
This allows the energy to be carried by a uniform transmission line.
But, if the transmission line is not uniform then several things can
occur.  First, at an impedance discontinuity energy can be reflected
back.  We're all used to this at an unterminated receiver where all the
energy is reflected back to the driver.  This causes the driver to be
responsible for returning the energy back to the Power Mode, and thus
forcing the driver and it's package to do double duty.  Second, there
can be a mode discontinuity where a change in propagation mode is
forced.  Vias are the common example.  At a via transition, Signal Mode
(stripline or microstrip mode signals) is converted to the Via Mode.  At
the transition, Via Mode is converted near-simultaneously to another
Signal Mode on the new trace layer, and to multiple Parallel Plate Modes
(the dominate mode between power and ground planes.) Parallel Plate Mode
energy is a predominant amount of the high frequency noise that you see
on your planes.  This energy will propagate outward in a circular
wavefront until it is absorbed or reflected back.  Mostly it reflects
(although Istvan's concept of capacitors terminating to the
characterisitc impedance of the plane solves the reflection , and
therefore resonance, issues.)  Unfortunately, at switching frequencies,
the mounted inductance of a capacitor is such that it is a very poor
terminator at best.  Which is why it is a very bad idea to switch from a
ground referenced trace layer to a Vcc referenced trace layer.  Some of
the energy has to be converted into parallel plate mode and has to
travel through decoupling capacitors whose mounted inductance are such
that they do not do a very good job.  Let me repeat, if you transition a
trace from a ground referenced layer to a Vcc referenced layer through a
via, you will force noise into your power planes.  But if you transition
from ground referenced layers to ground referenced layers, the noise
will be short circuited by ground to ground via connections all around
the PCB.

To solve this problem is simple.  Don't transition to Vcc referenced
trace layers.  In order of noise priority it is wise to do the following.

1) Place a ground layer underneath all packages.
2) Keep trace routing on one ground referenced layer with two vias maximum.
3) If you have to transition through more than two vias, transition from
ground referenced to ground referenced layer.
4) Surround high speed signal transitions (such as clocks) with ground
vias to contain the energy in the transition.
5) Place ground stitch vias in all unused board space to form energy
containment boundaries.

Now it's time to get another cup of coffee.

best regards,

scott

Gourari, Alexandre wrote:

>Good point, Jim, and I agree with what Geoff said. The only point I'd like
>to clarify, probably for myself mostly ;-))
>Considering single CMOS totem pole driver with decoupling cap large enough
>to store energy necessary to supply switching current you may want to look
>at the receiver side now. The load worth considering for switching consists
>of 2 caps, input-Vss and input-Vcc. Depending on signal transition direction
>receiver's input current charges one and discharges the other. That effect
>creates return currents in the both planes at either transition. Obviously
>the difference in cap values and load side termination affects magnitude of
>these return currents, but IMHO return current shall be considered for both
>planes.
>
>Best regards,
>Alex Gourari

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
(503) 750-6481 Cellular
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org