[SI-LIST] Re: References on electrical properties of dielectric materials?

  • From: Larry Zu <larry.zu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 23:19:11 -0700

Hi Jeff,
Your operating frequency is 4 GHz.  I guess if you lower this frequency to
2.450 GHz, you will see an insertion loss difference between a dry sample
and a moist sample.  The 2450 MHz frequency is the microwave oven
frequency.  It heats up water molecules inside a food/material very
efficiently.  In another word, the absorption or EM wave attenuation
(insertion loss for moist dielectric material) is higher at 2.45 GHz.  At 4
GHz, little energy is absorbed by water molecules inside the dielectric
material.  This is a quantum mechanics effect.  I could be wrong.
For "low loss dielectrics responded to temperature changes significantly
less than standard FR4", could you elaborate more?

Thanks.
Larry Zu, Ph.D.
Sarcina Technology LLC
Semiconductor package design and simulation

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Loyer, Jeff <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry - link got munged.
> https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8b6d648f606672ae9ca5
>

> Jeff Loyer