[SI-LIST] Re: Reference plane for differential pairs

  • From: "Gourari, Alexandre" <Alexandre.Gourari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:31:12 +0100

IMHO unless your major concern is crosstalk between whatever your
differential pairs carry and whatever your 12V rail powers you be better off
using 12V plane to close your diff pair common mode noise return path. It
will always be better for EMI and pair-pair xtalk.
The trick is you don't have much control over that for high frequency due to
inherent interplane capacitance, but if you want to improve on that toward
lower frequency you need to throw in some decoupling caps like Steve
suggested. I assume your backplane stack-up is defined and you can't play
with it.

Best regards,

Alex Gourari,