[SI-LIST] Re: Reference Plane

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>,"Zhangkun" <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:06:02 -0700

Jeff,

I agree with you that the typical power delivery system is likely to do a
poor job of addressing this problem.  The fix I try to get people to work
is fix the power delivery system.  There are other reasons to do this, such
as EMI.

Lee

As I understood it, the issue being raised is the effect of a trace
transitioning between different reference planes, which is a different
issue than coupling of power supply noise onto that trace.

> I contend that the issue of transitions between reference planes may or
may not be adequately addressed by the typical power-delivery subsystem.
Providing a proper path for return current is a different (but possibly
overlapping) issue than keeping noise off VCC.  I think Ray Anderson did a
great job of articulating the difference between the two in an earlier
posting.

> I've posted my thoughts (based on theory, measurements, and experience)
on this contention earlier, and they should be available on the archives.
If you have issues with those, please let me know.

> Jeff Loyer

List archives are viewable at: