[SI-LIST] Re: Reducing SSO noise in an FPGA]

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: silist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:51:56 -0700

   Fabrizio.
Several comments

Increasing the via size on the power delivery vias will most likely not
make a difference, unless power are ground vias are paired together in
the package ballout out.  If that is the case, increasing the via
diameter will increase the mutual inductance between the power and
ground vias, thereby reducing the total loop inductance.  Remember, if
your noise is in the power supply side of the signalling, then anything
that you do to reduce the overall power/ground loop inductance will help.

You measured the combined effects of power SSO and crosstalk in your
experiment.  The composite I would call SSN.  I would suggest an
additional experiment where the nearest package neighbors of the victim
are switched, with the remainder of the I/Os left in the high state.
 From an external measurement perspective, it is impossible with one
measurement to seperate the effects of voltage rail noise from reflected
reverse crosstalk in the package.  In many cases, this is the largest of
the two contributors. Since you are using low impedance SSTL-2 drivers,
if there is significant reverse crosstalk in the package, you will see
extremely large amounts of noise.  In order to measure this noise,
without the effects of I/O voltage bounce, you will need to know which
signals are the nearest coupled neighbors to the victim that you are
measuring.

Yes, you can simulate these effects with Hspice, but you need to have
extremely good package model extracts, which are hardly ever done.
 Sigrity is a good way to go, however, any simulation with 128 I/O cells
will be extremely difficult to do and time consuming.   For a Sigrity
type simulation, you will need to have access to the entire package
layout, all stackup and materials information, and will need to use a
very small mesh size, in order to capture all the effects between all
the via scattering in the package.  I doubt, however, that you will
obtain much useful information from your FPGA vendor on the true
characteristics of the package.  If you do, you will be extremely lucky.
 We've made these sorts of simulations and studies before, but it was as
part of consultation we delivered to FPGA and ASIC semiconductor vendors.

regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow